Saturday, December 30, 2006

Book Club?

You read that right... Book Club.

I am happy to be a member of the Marketing Profs Daily Fix Book Club (brought to you by CK). This book club reads and then discusses great marketing books. The first book to be covered is the new book by Jackie Huba and Ben McConnell called Citizen Marketers- When People are the Message.

So far I'm only about 3 or 4 chapters into the book and I can really and truly say that it is worth reading. Hell, goofy as it may sound, I was hooked by the end of the introduction. Ben and Jackie do a great job with their writing and with turning their research into compelling stories that solidify their ideas. As a writer myself, I know how hard that is to do. I'm not gonna give anything away here, so you'll just have to wait for the group discussion to take place over at the Daily Fix.

Why am I talking about a book on a bicycle industry marketing site? Well, because it is a marketing book and it has some very important things in it that apply to marketing in the bicycle industry. Bike companies should read this book! Social media is taking the world by storm right now, I mean... social media and the people who create the content made the cover of TIME as Person of the Year. That means that many people who ride bicycles or might one day soon are using social media at an ever increasing rate. The cycling industry absolutely has to get out of the dark ages and go out and reach these people, these consumers, these passionate users.
Bike Companies; go out and buy this book! I'm not going to tell you again...

Tim Jackson
Chief Kool-Aid Dispenser

Posted by Tim Jackson at 9:03 PM

4 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:41 AM  
    Haven't read the book yet, but I've spoken with and seen Ben McConnell speak. There's no doubt that he gets it. Let the other bike companies beware...if you do not read the book as Tim suggests, Masi will have the competitive advantage.

    Tim, I guess you are just trying to even the playing field...hahaha.
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 4:30 PM  
    Well, I would read that, but I am too busy reading "How to Survive a Robot Uprising" by Daniel H. Wilson. (actually I am reading it and another book I am reading is "What They Don't Teach You in Film School")

    ok, all kidding aside... anything Tim recommends is worth looking at.

    Thanks for the info, oh and since Graham over at goclipless.com tagged my blog with this "5 things you don't know about me..." I am officially tagging Tim Jackson! Lets here it bud...

    and lets have a spanking happy new year!
  3. Blogger Tim Jackson posted at 4:51 PM  
    But I already did my 5 Things post over at Masiguy... does that mean I have to do another 5 Things?

    Thanks for the vote of confidence on the book recommendation. Seriously though, the more I read, the more important this book becomes. It should be required for anybody trying to sell or market anything. It's a great book.
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:54 AM  
    oh no... i dont think you have to do the "5 things" again.

    ...I got to get back to reading now. I am at the section on "How to Survive Hand to Hand Combat" with a robot. I see that karate will do me no good unless I can punch thru sheet metal.

Post a Comment

« Home