Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Addiction

We need to start BA – Bike-a-holics Anonymous

Hi. I’m Karl and I am a bike-a-holic!
There, I said it!

Finally, it is out in the open. Phew, it feels good to get that off my chest. The good thing is that I know I am not the only one out there with this problem. This year was the first time I actually got to walk around the Interbike show for 2 ½ days. In my prior years I was hand-cuffed to my booth with a line of people three deep trying to work some kind of deal or score something for free.

This year was not a good year for my addiction. Ever since I got home from the show all I could think about was a few super cool bikes and how I needed to find some way to get them. I even wondered if theVW commercial technique would work. You know, the one where the guys licksthe car-door-handle and stands there proudly with his arms folded as if he is saying, “This is mine”.

I am a bit of a simplistic bike person. I like single-speeds, hardtails, steel and anything with S&S. That is why I had Michael at Spot build me a steel single-speed with S&S. It is one of the most beautiful creations ever.

2007 seems like a great vintage for bikes. Some things that jumped out to me are the new line of super inexpensive SE Single-speeds (with names like Draft,Lager and Stout), Masi’s new Speciale Fixed (drool) and cross bike (nice job Tim), that one-off Indy Fab 1986 lookin’ bmx bike, any of the Felt cruisers, and anything from Salsa or Van Dessel.

Those are my favorites of 2007, what are some of yours?

Posted by Karl Wiedemann at 3:03 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger Tim Jackson posted at 8:14 PM  
    I obviously agree with your Masi choices. It proves your intelligence and good taste.

    As for my favorites? Tough to say because there are so many beautiful bikes out there and I only got a few minutes to look around... BUT...

    The TIME TT frame is amazing.
    The Vanilla tricycle was insane. Sascha White just kills me.
    The Bridgestone carbon track frame that Euro-Asia was showing. I've been in love with that thing for years now.
    Anything by Dario Pegoretti.
    Mavic carbon track whels.
    The PRO Trak Lite disk wheel and 4 spoke carbon front wheel.

    There are way, way more. I just can't remember them all.
  2. Blogger Donna Tocci posted at 4:07 AM  
    Karl - nice to have you here with the Krew!

    Anything by Seven makes me drool.
  3. Blogger T-Guy J posted at 11:23 AM  
    I absolutely agree with all of the choices you have thrown out.

    My local Somerville, MA boys at Independent Fabrication made an absolutely S-I-C-K version of the Crown Jewel with Columbus 953 tubing. Steel is the way to go, and the fact that they were able to get it below 16 pounds is awesome.
  4. Blogger Neibaf posted at 3:38 PM  
    Call me silly, but I loved the Moots Vamoots and the C50 Colnago...
  5. Blogger Tim Jackson posted at 3:44 PM  
    Fabien- You asked for it... you're silly.

    No, good choices. I love Moots and Colnago both. Ernesto can really do no wrong in my eyes.

Post a Comment

« Home