Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Trust me I'm a doctor

Go Fast Pops has a post up on a recent Descente ad seen in a few places, and yes, they are speaking frankly.

The text in the Cyclingnews banner ad (right hand side) is pretty pointed as well.

Interestingly my day to day retailing experience when discussing saddles and shorts is exactly like Dr Frank Speak - you can only tackle the issue of wedding tackle head on. Even more interesting is that many of my most frank conversations have been initiated by female customers, the men need a bit more prodding............so to speak.

I'm comfortable with this ad if only because the saddle/short/comfort thing for a newbie or recreational rider is one of their biggest concerns when thinking about spending some hard earned on a new machine, so I think a bucket load of openness is needed in order to bring a little peace of mind and lead people in the right direction.

An ad like this only makes my job easier as far as opening this conversation is concerned, and is similar to a good PSA.

However some folks might think Descente has gone one frankly too far. Have they?

Posted by Spinopsys at 1:56 AM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Jeff Kerkove posted at 10:01 AM  
    I think it is brilliant! I looked at the ad on Cyclingnews.com and in the new Bicycling Magazine. Why? Because of the shocking nature of the text.
  2. Blogger Yokota Fritz posted at 3:46 PM  
    I guess I'm kind of prudish, but this ad doesn't bug me. It's probably a good move on Descente's part.
  3. Blogger Tim Jackson posted at 8:43 PM  
    Well, I don't think they have gone too far at all, butt... they did take a quick and easy route to grabbing attention. I'm not trying to criticize them, just pointing out the obvious; sex (or sexual organs) sell, or at least get attention.

    Descente makes some great products, so I would prefer to see them take that particular route to selling more product, as opposed to going for the groin. That said, it is still a clever ad.

    You are right about most consumers being very concerned about comfort. I ran into that over all the years I worked retail as well. I started working retail in 1982 and it hadn't changed when I left retail in 1996. I've been on the other side of the fence since '96 and comfort still remains a big consumer issue.

    Looking at what Descente is doing, my guess would be that they are spinning their brand name down a little to lower price points and more entry level consumers. Let's face it, the particular approach they are taking isn't aimed at higher end consumers. The pitch isn't as effective to them, but newer riders will respond.

    Great post Phil!
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:52 PM  
    I love this ad!

    They care about my testicles! I care about my testicles!

    It's a match!

Post a Comment

« Home