Friday, March 24, 2006

Olde School Marketing.

(Before I go any further here; I know it's a Friday night and I'm blogging. Keep it to yourself!)

With all of the technology that exists today, with blogs and websites, podcasts, vidcasts, etc I find it refreshing that there is still a small place in the world left for the good old handshake and face to face conversation. I know that I spend a lot of time here talking about the power of blogging and new/ different marketing techniques, but I still feel much more comfortable looking somebody in the eye and sharing my personal passion for what I do and the sport (cycling) that fills me with so much pride and joy.

In just a few days, I will be climbing onto an airplane, towing my bike case with me, and flying to Australia. Not for a vacation (not officially anyway), but to assist our new distributor there with the launch of Masi in their market. With all of the technology that exists in this world today, I still believe the most effective sales tool at the disposal of a saleperson/ marketer is a smile and a handshake (in my head I can see Donna mouthing the words "I told you so"...).

Once I get to Australia, I will be traveling to meet with retailers, educate the salesforce, meet some consumers, conduct a few magazine interviews and ride my bike with other cyclists. Even the most dynamic website in the world can't do all of that. I could blog until my fingers bled and not accomplish all of that. NOTHING compares to having the chance to either A) talk about the things you are passionate about or B) listen to somebody talk about the things they are passionate about. Yeah, I know, some passionate people are nuts. But I'm not talking about the nuts.

Similar to my trip to Texas last month to work with a retailer and attend their sale, where I got to meet new Masi owners and soon-to-be Masi owners, this trip affords me the chance to speak directly to "my customers" and convince them that I am sincere in my passion for what I do. I don't know about you, but I listen a lot more to people who can convince me of their passion.

In a few days I hope to be blogging from Down Under. I promise I'll test the whole toilet-water-swirling-the-other-way theory. I might even see if I can find a barbie to toss some shrimp onto. But I can absolutely promise that I will be doing my absolute best to talk to as many people as I can, on and off the bike.

Tim Jackson
Chief Kool-Aid Dispenser

Posted by Tim Jackson at 8:56 PM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Yokota Fritz posted at 9:54 PM  
    Here it is Friday night and I'm reading your blog. I don't know what's sorrier.

    Actually I just got home from a mostly fun night out with several other local cyclists and some city staff people who all came to tell me goodbye. Some drunk guy also joined us -- when he discovered we were all cyclists he got a little belligerent, told us he drove like an a$$ in his suburban and he didn't care who got in his way. I may blog about this later.

    The best thing I enjoy about blogging is not the computer interaction, but getting out and meeting Real Live People.
  2. Blogger Tim Jackson posted at 10:17 PM  
    I still think you're cool!

    Sometimes I wonder how the human race has gotten this far... it wasn't by driving, that's for sure.

    Real, honest to God people make the whole thing a lot more fun. I'm really looking forward to meeting up with Phil (Spinosys)in Australia. Without blogging, I wouldn't have met him.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:31 PM  
    Tim

    Check out

    forums.farkin.net for Oz biking
    and if you are in Qld check out www.mtbdirt.com.au

    have fun!

    chris

Post a Comment

« Home