Saturday, March 10, 2007

Heading to the National Bike Summit.

This coming week, I will be in Washington DC attending the National Bike Summit, along with my coworker Jill Hamilton (the Haro MTB Brand Manager... and one time contributor here... who might come back... no pressure...). Jill and I will be attending the summit as "sponsored guests" of Bikes Belong, serving as representatives of the cycling industry. With no sense of false modesty or "build up", I am extremely excited about this and very honored to be going. I, along with many, many other people (way more qualified for the task than I) will be going to help further the causes of bicycle advocacy in the US. If you've read my posts or comments here and elsewhere, you might already know how I feel about the need for greater cycling-friendly infrastructure in this country. The industry needs the infrastructure to survive, but cycling as a whole needs it as well.

Anyway, here's the deal; you got something you want said to the folks in DC who hold the purse strings? Then let me know and I will do my best to carry your ideas all the way to the folks who might actually be able to do something about it. I promise nothing other than the fact that I will do my best to express your comments and/ or concerns. Most people know that I am pretty darned passionate about cycling and this industry. I'm pretty sure there will be more than one occasion when I get told politely to shut the hell up... as if I can. But I want to carry your ideas as well. Sorry for the short notice on this, since I leave first thing in the morning Tuesday, but get me your comments here or directly to my email (tjackson at masibikes dot com). I will be in DC until Friday, so you have a few days to get to me before I get to them.

I'm looking forward to raising my hand and my voice to try and improve the state of cycling in this country. I will have great company while I'm there too, so you are in good hands.

Tim Jackson
Chief Kool-Aid Dispenser

Labels: , , ,

Posted by Tim Jackson at 7:32 PM

4 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:04 PM  
    Tim, the industry will be well represented with you in DC! I'm jealous since I can't make it this year. Hope you're bringing plenty of Kool Aid for everyone!
  2. Blogger Donna Tocci posted at 4:00 PM  
    Tim, I can't think of a better person to go to DC and talk bikes. Go get 'em! And, from all of us...thanks....for spending precious time away from your family and friends for the 'cause'. You ROCK!
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:31 AM  
    Hi Nice blog here :)

    I have you on the Z-List as well:
    http://dotmyspot.com/home/content/view/171/9/

    Just wondering would u be interested in exchanging links..
    http://dotmyspot.com/home

    Do let me know :)

    Thanks a million!
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:51 PM  
    1st time commenter here. Found you via Bicycle Design blog.

    This DOT document at this URL (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/design.htm) has some solid ideas, but what's lacking is enforcement. If I could suggest something to the Powers That Be, it would be to tie Federal highway funds, congestion management funds, TEA-21 funds, etc. to the mandatory integration of bicycling infrastructure in roadway projects. Nothing gets attention like the threat of withholding funds.

Post a Comment

« Home