Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Now for something completely different

I came across this earlier today on cyclelicio.us and he found it on velochimp. So this is not an original find on my part but it does tie into cycling and marketing. Actually, this could be one of the best examples of integrating cycling into a marketing campaign effectively.

The video ends up being an ad for what I think is a UK cell phone company and was done by a Belgian ad firm, LG&F. It will make the hard core cyclists laugh, should not offend cyclists, and non-cyclists will even get the jokes. They have cleverly used cycling lingo and terminology without dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator and offending cyclists. This is a good example.

Now for a bad example. The first one that comes to mind that bothered me was for a deodorant, I think it was Mitchum. The tag line was something like "Real men don't have shaved legs." Basically their implication was that only girly men would shave their legs and therefore shouldn't use Mitchum. So right there they insulted me and many other cyclists and pushed them away from buying their product. So instead of gaining customers, they quite possibly lost many.

What do you think?

Chris - iheartbikes

Posted by Anonymous at 4:39 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger gwadzilla posted at 6:23 PM  
    oh god....
    all I need
    ANOTHER BLOG!
    another blog with endless links for endless topics
    don't we have jobs?
    this blogging is dangerous stuff
    almost addictive as cycling
    well more easy to get addicted to as it is easy to participate in
  2. Blogger gwadzilla posted at 6:24 PM  
    oh yea
    JIM JONES was the man!
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:35 PM  
    Actually, if I remember my television commercials correctly, the Mitchum deoderant ad's tagline was something along the lines that real men weren't threatened by shaving their legs - or something like that - and was clearly geared toward cyclists, as it ran numerous times during the TDF coverage on OLNTV.
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:50 PM  
    That was really funny... so dumb it was funny.

    Hey, what exactly is up with these shaved legs anyway. I am a mountain biker and it never occured to me that mtb'rs shave. I see more guys now that are doing it. Whats funny is they have gorilla arms and then these smooth legs. So if aero dynamics are a reason - then why not the arms?

    (OLN rocks!)
  5. Blogger Yokota Fritz posted at 1:31 PM  
    For Bryan -- I'm a roadie. We shave not for aerodynamics but to minimize road rash from crashes. I'm not a mountain biker, but I imagine they do it for the same reason. Except it would be trail rash instead of road rash, I suppose.

Post a Comment

« Home